If you are following me closely you may know I’ve experienced a handful of life shifting events in 2022 which have pulled my time and attention away from the easel. I think in total I painted 4 paintings this year. I can only speak for myself when I say that when I paint I put my whole self into my work, which is why I haven't been able to paint — my whole self has not been available. As time ticks on, as it tends to do, it has given me the space to gain some perspective. Though the concerns that [...]
When my son Seth was about 13 years old he complained of pain in his shins, “Mom!” he said, “My legs hurt so much. Is there something wrong?” I told him I knew exactly what was happening. “You are growing, Seth. Unfortunately, your legs are going to hurt for a while. But if you eat healthy food and get lots of extra sleep, at the end of the summer you will probably be 6 or 8 inches taller.” As I spoke, he grimaced but by the time he realized he was going to grow, he wasn’t as worried about the shin pain. He [...]
Those who know me best know that I find my peace and comfort when I’m in the throes of making art. Time is irrelevant as I dive deep into myself, forsaking nearly everything and everyone around me. Even as a young child, I could disappear for hours into my drawings… my mother called me “easily content” and was happy to have at least one of her four daughters blissfully occupied. For as long as I can remember, I have made art for myself; from my own imagination mostly, and for my own pleasure. Nearly 10 years ago, I dared to [...]
I was at Richard Schmid’s and Nancy Guzik’s house and I was looking at a pine tree painting that Richard had painted. I’ve told this story so many times you’re probably thinking, “Tina you already told me this story.” But some stories have multiple lessons. So, I'm looking at this gorgeous landscape and at the time, I had been studying Levitan and Schmid and trying to work up the courage to paint a landscape. So I was looking at this beautiful pine tree painting that Richard did and he and I were just talking at the dinner table, and I [...]
This time of year is always a reflective time for me — and this year even more so. Due to the constraints the COVID pandemic has placed on the entire world, I have had a lot of time, like you, time to worry and time to watch the news and more time than I should have spent on social media. At times, I have been hard on myself for not being braver, more disciplined and more productive. But in this last months of the year, I’ve decided to give myself something truly valuable to help me make sure that I move [...]
For three years now, I have had the pleasure of mentoring about 15 artists each year, including as a mentor for the Portrait Society of America Cecelia Beaux Forum in 2018 and 2019. I meet with my mentees individually online for one hour a month to guide them on their unique journey to mastery. For each artist, I assess their process, habits and work, assign them individually tailored homework and lead the progression of their skills and taste over several months. One of the most important assignments I give my students is to create Master Copies, or reproductions of master [...]
Art is my universe, but the center of my universe is my children. This summer marks the end of raising children and the beginning of empty nesting. I’ve known since January of 2018 that my daughter, Grace, would be graduating high school a year early…alongside her older brother, Seth. We spent this last week getting Grace, who will be studying international diplomacy and two languages, settled into her west-coast college and in just a few weeks we’ll be delivering Seth to New York City where he will be immersed in a conservatory to pursue the Broadway stage. I have to tell you, launching [...]
I am very touched to be asked to submit images of some of my paintings to Fine Art Connoisseur Magazine for their January/February feature article "Today's Masters — Capturing the Spirit of Dance & Music". I'm certainly not the first artist to be inspired by dancers. Dancers are the subject of many, many artists throughout history. Since I was a young girl, I've drawn dancers. I always wanted to be a ballet dancer but in my family of four girls, following our dad from military base to military base, there were little means or resources for any kind of lessons. I [...]
Hi artists and art lovers. If you're a regular reader, by now you know I'm nothing if not authentic. And tonight, I'm authentically out of sorts, which is making me extra irritated, because in the broader view of my world, I have everything to be happy about! I'm about to begin the biggest and most exciting travels I've ever experienced...I'm heading to Arkansas in a week or so for a full workshop and just a few weeks after that I'm traveling to Italy where I will explore Rome, Tuscany, Venice and Florence and teach a 5 day workshop. Shortly after that [...]
This spring, a collector of my works became a patron. Yes, it's as strange and wonderful as it sounds. I'm overwhelmed by this special person and their serious belief in the quality and value of my work. My patron vowed to commission me for as much work as I want, and they have kept their vow. I just hung their first commissioned piece in their home last month and today they will come to my studio to either accept or reject their second commissioned work of art.That's right, I said accept or reject. In my 15 years as a graphic designer [...]
When you walk in the door to my teaching studio, you're going to be greeted by this: This is Romeo. He's the main security and food supervisor here. Don't worry, if you're not a fan of poodles, Walter, the studio cat is always on duty. I've held a lot of workshops here in the nearly 5 years since I started painting and I've received some really touching feedback from my students and the students of my guest teachers. But there's always one or two artists who tell me how terrified they are to take a workshop. They would love to do it, but [...]
March 4th marks the anniversary of my 4th year of oil painting. I have learned so much in such a short time! You can see the progression in the diagram below. I finally find myself moving past the mindset of being a "Beginner". Conversely, I still don't feel like a Master, though my work has begun to receive such a designation from both the National Oil and Acrylic Painters Society and the prestigious Art Renewal Center. Having had instruction under some of the best artists living today, I do, however, finally see my skills are beginning to catch up to my taste [...]
Breaking News: This just in: One of my works is an Art Renewal Center Annual Salon Finalist! I entered two works in the Art Renewal Center Annual Salon with no expectations. I'm so very humbled that one of them has been recognized. Some Salon winners are included in an exhibition at the MEAM (Museum of Modern Art in Europe) in Barcelona Spain! Details on which piece and any awards will come in early May. I'll be holding my breath! (For those outside the art world, ARC sets the industry standard for art teaching, promotion and restoration of the practice of representational, realistic art [...]
I'm happy to say I have painted two new pieces and a third is on the easel since a host of holiday commissions overran my studio in August. Yes, I started in August and officially delivered the last commission on December 15th. My clients don't know it, but each commission is a gift to me. I know the painting will be loved for at least the lifetime of the collector and most likely become a family heirloom that will be loved for generations. There is comfort in knowing those works will outlive me.I'm particularly proud of this commission: "Aggie" 30x30. A [...]
Jeremy Lipking is arguably the foremost talented and sought after artists today. Winner of this years ARC Salon and the Prix de West, to say the least, Jeremy's work is flawless and pushing the bar ever higher with each brush stroke. I obviously am a fan. Just how big a fan I did not realize until I was lucky enough to land a spot in one of his monthly, One Day workshops at his beautiful Agoura Hills, CA studio in July. Tina admiring Jeremy Lipking's award wining work at Prix de West 2014 If you've followed me on facebook or read the previous [...]
Fresh off the plane from my New Orleans trip, it was my idea to load the kids into our camper and trek from the Kansas City area all the way to NYC, with a few days in Washington D.C. for family appropriate patriotic activities. Seth, then newly 13, and Grace not quite 12, mastered the subways and crowds like professionals. We were only accosted once overall and I was proud of them for how they followed my lead. The Garrett family making sure everyone from NYC knows we are not from NYC. On our third day, we criss crossed Manhattan Island to spend [...]
NOTE: I published this blog on my old site in 2013. This story is such a part of my beginnings as a fine artist I couldn't leave the blog behind when switching over to my new website. Sorry though to have to leave behind all the touching comments I received. I FIRST HEARD THE NAME, “Richard Schmid”, from Jerry Salinas in March of 2012 at The Scottsdale Artist’s School. Jerry was trying to comfort me as I shook in my boots in my first attempt to paint with oil. I had applied for a scholarship to SAS, where Jerry teaches, and was [...]